Genel Energy spuds Chia Surkh well in Iraq

Genel Energy - Chia SurkhThe Chia Surkh 10 exploration well is located in the south of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. (Image source: Genel Energy)Genel Energy has spudded its first exploration well in the Chia Surkh exploration block in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq

The Anglo-Turkish oil firm confirmed that the Chia Surkh 10 exploration well, which has been designed to test the Lower Miocene to Palaeocene section, was spudded on 7 October 2012.

Chia Surkh 10, located in the southern part of the autonomous region, has become the first exploration well to be drilled on the 984 sq km Chia Surkh exploration block, which Genel has estimated to have prospective resources of more than 300mn boe.

The company will continue to drill the well to a total depth of approximately 2,500 metres, with results from the site expected to be revealed in Q1 2013.

Genel Energy holds a 60 per cent operated interest in the Chia Surkh exploration block, with the remaining 40 per cent split equally between Petoil and the Kurdistan Regional Government.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?