Gazprom Neft to begin seismic survey onshore Kurdistan Region of Iraq

gasprome-ormeGazprom Neft’s fourth project in Iraq is development of Badra oilfield in Wasit Governorate. (Image source: Neal Wellons/Flickr)Russian oil producer Gazprom Neft will conduct a 2D seismic survey on the southeastern section of Halabja Block in Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Mikhail Kholodov, CEO of Gazprom Neft, said, “Technical equipment and personnel required for the survey are being transferred from the southwestern section, where the company has already successfully completed a survey spanning 225 km. Overall, 2D seismic surveys covering 870 km are scheduled to be conducted on the block by 2015.

“In 2014, a 2D seismic survey covering 130 km was conducted on the Halabja Block. The first exploration well is expected to be drilled in 2015-2016. The Halabja Block has, until now, undergone very little geological study.”

Gapzrom Neft is involved in four projects in Iraq, three of which are in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The company holds 80 per cent interest in the Halabja Block and Shakal Block with the remaining 20 per cent held by the Kurdistan Regional Government.

In August 2014, drilling of two exploration wells began on Shakal Block, which is currently undergoing testing, added Kholodov.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?